Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Top reasons to become a teacher

Often when a person thinks about the perks of teaching, they often picture the luxurious summer vacations and a solid Monday to Friday job. For those that see teaching as rewarding, time consuming, challenging, enjoyable...they are in the same mentality that I am. Realistically, I am aware that most of summers are going to be dedicated to preparing for the next school year, attending conferences to learn new skills to better serve the students. They are after all, the reason many choose to go into this profession. I know it is the reason I am going into teaching. I have seen the effects that teaching can have on a person. I have seen people become light-hearted, more passionate, and more child-like through teaching. On the other end of the spectrum, I have witnessed teachers that were in the profession solely because their dream career didn't work out. It is often obvious to the students when this is the case. There is a lack of effort put into their lesson plans, a bitter, angry attitude, and occasionally a slacked attitude in grading. Let's all hope that teaching will be recognized as a profession rather than a "semi-rofession."After all, some one had to teach all of the "professionals" out there.

No comments: