Tuesday, August 12, 2008

The 10 worst things a teacher can do.

"Avoid smiling and being friendly with your students."

As much as it important to keep a distance from your students, one must also consider the students' safety and trust. By default an educator is essentially a parent, mentor, and counselor all at the same time. I wouldn't want to come off as cold, or uncaring. It is important to me that a students would feel safe enough to approach me if they wanted to.

Thinking about things that a teacher should not do, I have developed my own set of ideas. As I have observed and been involved in a number of situations over the years, I have noted some teaching strategies that should never be used. One is never telling a student what they cannot do. As a teacher it is not your job to put a cap on a student's potential. It will damage the student's self esteem, and could possibly detour them from pursuing a dream. Another is to never ignore signs of abuse or neglect. You as an educator may be a child's life line.

No comments: