Saturday, August 16, 2008

Oregon ranked 49th in the nation!

As someone who is somewhat interested in teaching in the state of Oregon, this ranking makes me a little nervous about doing so. Oregon was 1 in 5 states to receive a "D" for their education system. Elementary level teaching seems to be struggling the most. It was stated that Oregon does not have early-learning standards, which could be where the later problems in 4th grade reading and math stem from. There also appears to be little help for beginning teachers, most other states have mentoring programs for first year instructors. I wonder if the people ranking these states place any responsibility on the parents...If I didn't have my mom drilling me in elementary school, I wouldn't have progressed to where I ended up. I wouldn't have been motivated to do much of anything in school. I'm curious if that is the case with these elementary school students who aren't up to par in math and reading. Lack of parental involvement??

http://www.oregoncatalyst.com/index.php?/archives/1117-Oregon-Education-Among-Very-Worst-in-the-Nation.html

No comments: